11 April 2013

Catching up

Followers of this blog may have noticed that things have been very quiet this year so far. Things have been quite chaotic and busy for me, and a lot has changed. My teaching career has practically ceased for the moment, although I did teach a weekend course on digital illustration at BAVC recently. So I have been concentrating on other things. Oddly enough, I did recertify in Photoshop and Illustrator CS6, so now I am up to date as an Adobe Certified Instructor in those programs. However, if I'm not teaching, it probably makes no difference, but I don't want to have to take the full proctored exams again.

As far as hardware, I'm on the same laptop. It's old, but it's still getting me there. But I did update the RAM. Although my Mackbook Pro officially only recognizes up to 4 Gb, I now have 6 and it seems to be all utilized and working fine. The OS has been updated, not the the very latest, but close enough, although I hate having to do that all the time.

A bigger change has been in my work. I'm still doing digital illustration, but I have been doing more film effects work. For the past couple of months, I've been doing rotoscoping and plate reconstruction at a local effects studio for two upcoming films, White House Down and Fast and Furious 6 (I hadn't even realized there were that many). I'm pursuing more work like this in an effort to get more into matte painting, so we'll see how that goes. The effects industry is in sad shape now, if you have been following the news on that topic. I've been looking at some opportunities that would take me away from home for a while, so I'll keep you posted.

9 comments:

  1. I sure wish you well with the film effects work. It almost sounds like a change is manifesting?
    Su

    ReplyDelete
  2. A change in me or in the industry? It's definitely a change for me, but for the industry, it's still in pretty bad shape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In you, though, I am not real familiar with your entire career.
    I really don't know much about film effects. Wish I did, but, I haven't reached that yet in my digital education. I'm still grasping Photoshop (x5yrs).
    I read your posts from time to time and it just sounded like a change.
    Su

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a bit of a change, but this whole industry is in turmoil right now. I haven't taught in a while and freelance work is way down. So I'm doing film VFX work, which is something, but it's keeping me away from Photoshop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi
    How are the adobe exams? I've been using photoshop since 2.5 for mainly retouching, some illustration and general graphic work for print and web.
    I'm interested how difficult they are, how they are taken etc. did you find them easy or difficult?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The initial exams are very difficult. They are proctored, meaning that you have to go to a specific testing center. You can't take anything in with you and you are monitored during the test, which is timed. The topics covered come from anything Photoshop does and get very specific, even obscure, so it's hard to prepare accurately for it. They are also a bit costly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was certainly interesting for me to read that article. Thanx for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to this matter. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.really good job .... Hats off mann
    clipping path

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simply desire to say your article is as astonishing. The clearness in your post is just excellent and i could assume you are an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission let me to grab your feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the rewarding work.
    clipping path

    ReplyDelete